The answer to the question of whether it is possible that Jesus could come back today or tomorrow is a definite no. In fact I will go a little further and say that Jesus cannot possibly come back at the end of this week or the end of this month or even the end of this year. He won't even come back 2 or 3 years from now. Nor will our Lord even be here five years from today. He won't even be here in the next 6 to 7 years.
It tells us in the Book of Revelation that Jesus doesn't come back untill the tribulation is completely over and the seventh or last trumpet is sounded. It is when this final trumpet is blown that the 7 year tribulation period is over and it is only then that Jesus Christ comes back for his Saints and begins his rule over this earthly kingdom. And please keep in mind that the tribulation period consists of the last 7 years of human history as we know it. Look at the following verses and ask yourself when does Jesus come back?
Matthew 24:29-30 "But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken, and then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory".
The above verse is describing the second coming or the time when Jesus Christ comes back for his saved believers, and this verse begins by saying, "immediately after the tribulation". So it is at the very end of the tribulation when Jesus comes back. Further more, look and see what the very next verse says about what his purpose is for coming back to earth.
Matthew 24:31 "And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other."
It is only now that all the saved believers are gathered up by the angels of God to be transported to a waiting Jesus. It is only at this point where the following two verses come true.
Revelation 10:7 "But in the days of the sounding of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, the mystery of God would be finished, as He declared to His servants the prophets."
1 Thessalonians 4:15-17 "For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, and remain until the coming of the Lord, shall not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and thus we shall always be with the Lord".
Jesus comes back at Revelation 11:15 when the seventh and final trumpet is sounded, and this final trumpet is sounded immediately at the end of the seven year tribulation.
Revelation 11:15 "And the seventh angel sounded; and there arose loud voices in heaven, saying,"The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord, and of His Christ; and He will reign forever and ever."
Let us then take a look at just a few things that have to happen before this seventh trumpet is sounded. You will see that a whole series of events must occur before Jesus comes back; before this seventh trumpet is sounded. Think for a moment if any of the things listed below have happened yet. All these things plus a great many others all have to occur before the seventh trumpet is sounded. Once that seventh trumpet sounds, then the second coming of our Lord will take place.
1) The seven seals are part of the tribulation and must all be unsealed before any of the 7 trumpets are sounded and we see at the opening of the fourth seal in Revelation 6:8, that the rider on the pale horse is allowed to kill 1/4 of the earths inhabitants. "So I looked, and behold, a pale horse. And the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him. And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of the earth."
So Jesus will not return until there has been about 1.5 billion people killed.So I ask you, has this happened yet?
2) The sixth seal, which is part of the tribulation and which is described in Revelation 6:14, tells us that every mountain and island will be moved out of its place.
"And the heavens departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island will be moved out of their place."
This certainly hasn't happened yet.
3) Revelation 6: 15 & 16 tells us that after the sixth seal is opened, the conditions on this earth are so horrible and so terrible that the rich and powerful leaders of this world are going to hide themselves behind and under rocks in an attempt to escape from the eyes of Jesus.
"And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb of God."
Have you seen any rich and powerful man lately hiding behind or under rocks in fear of the Lord?.
4) Revelation 8:7 describes the first trumpet that is sounded and it tells us that 1/3 of the earth is burnt up. Keep in mind that all the trumpets are sounded during the tribulation.
"The first angel sounded. And hail and fire followed, mingled with blood, and they were thrown to the earth. And a third of the trees were burned up, and all green grass was burned up."
Nothing like this has happened yet.
5) Revelation 8:9 tells us that a 1/3 of all sea life is killed when the second trumpet is sounded. "And a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed."
Again nothing like this has ever happened.
6) Revelation 9:16-18 tells of the sixth trumpet sounding and another 1/3 of the earth, or another 1.5 billion people, being killed as immense armies sweep across the earth on a tremendous spree of killing and destruction.
"And the number of the armies of the horsemen was two hundred million; I heard the number of them. And this is how I saw in the vision the horses and those who sat on them: the riders had breastplates the color of fire and of hyacinth and of brimstone; and the heads of the horses are like the heads of lions; and out of their mouths proceed fire and smoke and brimstone. A third of mankind was killed by these three plagues, by the fire and the smoke and the brimstone, which proceeded out of their mouths."
There have been no huge armies like that going around the world killing over a billion people.
So in conclusion, many things have to happen before our Lord comes back, and the Lord does not come back until, "immediately after the tribulation, and the tribulation period is the very last seven years of human history. The seals and the trumpets are all part of the tribulation so they all have to be unsealed and sounded before the Lord comes back for us. So when you hear someone say that the Lord could come back tonight, think of all the things that first must happen and the incredible consequences that these things will have on you and on me and on the entire earth.
The real reason why pain, death, and evil exist in the world